- Howe Keld is located at pavement level half way between the town centre and Lake shore. The market square and all its facilities are within a couple of minutes flat walk. The Lake and foreshore can be accessed along a pavement and /or through a park within a five minute walk.
- The bus station is close by (a 5 minute walk). The nearest train station is at Penrith 18 miles from Keswick along the A66. A bus X5 service connects the station yard to Keswick with a 35 minute journey.
- Mobility scooters may be hired the Keswick Motor Company within 300 yards of Howe Keld. Accessible taxis are available locally.
- The front door is at pavement level. There are no steps and the door is 33’’ wide.
- It is always locked but each guest has their own key for 24 hour access. Many of the bedroom doors now have keycard access.
- The hall has a green slate floor and gives access through double doors to the lounge reception area which has a solid light oak floor. This in turn is adjacent to the large dining room.
- The reception lounge has a range of seating and tourist information.
- The dining area is carpeted and has tables that are mostly square.
- The stairs and landings are carpeted. Both staircases have half landings.
- All rooms are en suite – there are no public toilets.
- Breakfast is served in the dining room. Tables and chairs can be moved.
- We can help to dry wet clothes.
- All rooms are en suite with showers. 5 also have a bath.
- There are 7 first floor bedrooms – 5 king size, 2 super kingsize or 2 twin.
- There are 5 second floor bedrooms – 1 single, 1 single/double, 1 double , 2 super king.
- All cupboards and hanging space are either built in or fitted. Most have dresser tops with upholstered stools attached and hanging and storage space inside.
- Most rooms have Durham armchairs and coffee tables.
- All double beds can be accessed from both sides.
- The 4 first floor rooms have solid hardwood flooring with rugs.
- All other bedrooms are carpeted.
- 10 bedrooms and 13 bathrooms have recessed lighting
- All beds have table lights.
- Bed bases and mattresses are 24’’ high.
- Most en suites have a green slate floor or oak boards.
- Showers are mostly 900mm quadrant with a small step to entry level.
- They are mostly Mira thermostatically controlled mixer valves. one is a Mira electric 9.5 KW.
- All hot and cold taps are now plumbed in with safety control valves to keep the water at an immediate and safe degree of heat.
- Most have illuminated mirrors and halogen lighting.
Howe Keld is graded as 4 star guest accommodation and offers B&B to guests with rooms on the two upper floors.
Arrival and car parking
The front door is at pavement level and has a slight ramp to the threshold. Cars can park and unload outside the front door. There is car park at the rear accessed by a side driveway. It has space for 6-7 cars, a couple of spaces are more suited to smaller vehicles. There is unrestricted parking along the Heads. Immediately to the front it is possible to park between 4pm and 10am which works well for most guests. With a blue badge you can park for 3 hours at a time between 10am and 4pm.
It is unrestricted between October 31st and Good Friday. The main car park of Keswick is within 100 yards.
Main Entrance and Reception
There is one central staircase and another fire staircase. They both serve the two upper floors. Each have half landings and are divided into sections of 13, 3 11 and 5 steps.The width is 34’’ and the step height is 7’’.